Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant Director
Job Description, Roles & Responsibilities
About the Pageant
The Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant, hosted by the Woodstock Area Chamber of Commerce & Industry, represents the ideals of our community. The Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant Committee works diligently to provide opportunities for young women to discover their REAL selves.
We teach and encourage our contestants to be respectful for themselves and others.
We wish for our young women to engage, that each can learn about and give back to Woodstock so our community can be fortified by those who call it home.
We support and hope for each young woman to be her authentic self, and we celebrate that uniqueness.
As a Committee, we guide, support and recognize qualities of a female leader – virtues that will take our young women far beyond the Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant experience.
Approved and Established by the Woodstock Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
January 20, 2023
Pageant Director Role Description
The Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant Director is a community-facing volunteer position and provides oversight, while working with the Pageant Committee, for a wide variety of events and activities. The Director must have an outgoing personality, the ability to communicate with people from differing backgrounds, ability to work with contestants ages 8-21 from all walks of life, and a bit of theatrical flair.
If you're a dynamic, detail-oriented person looking to make an impact on the lives of young women and serve the Woodstock community, this may be an ideal volunteer role for you.
The Pageant Director is responsible for oversight of logistics including room setup, reservations, decorations, entertainment, ordering food and marketing, overseeing risk-management issues like crowd control and security, assist handling marketing and outreach to media, design the program and run the rehearsal. From start to finish, the Pageant Director makes sure that all bases are covered. The Pageant Director will be supported by the Pageant Committee, made up of other members of the Woodstock Area Chamber of Commerce & Industry and Chamber staff.
This position is heavily active between mid-February and mid-June, for pre-pageant planning and pageant execution. The Director is expected to work with the winners for the next year to coach, coordinate site appearances and ensure a successful reign of Miss Woodstock.
The 2023 Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant is planned for Thursday, June 15 at the Woodstock Opera House from 6:00-11:00 p.m. Additional dates already confirmed:
· Pageant Informational Meeting, Location TBA – Thursday, April 6, 6:00-7:00 p.m.
· Weekly Rehearsals, Location TBA – Wednesdays (proposed), 6:00-8:00 p.m.
· Memorial Day Parade, Woodstock Square – Monday, May 29, Time TBA
· Woodstock PrideFest Parade, Woodstock Square – Sunday, June 11, 11:00 a.m.
· Pageant Tech Rehearsal, Woodstock Opera House – Monday, June 12, 4:00-10:00 p.m.
· Pageant Contestant Interviews, Stage Left Cafe – Tuesday, June 13, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
· Pageant Dress Rehearsal, Woodstock Opera House – Wednesday, June 14, 4:00-10:00 p.m.
· Meeting with all stakeholders, including the Pageant Committee, event hosts, sponsors and some attendees.
· Direct the creation of the event, setting out specific goals and outlining any particular wants.
· Planning includes reviewing venue choices, dates, agendas, itineraries, menu options, themes, guest lists and marketing options.
· Surveying potential attendees and contacting previous attendees.
· Works with the Pageant Committee to help prepare a detailed budget, including costs for such things as catering, liability insurance, audio visual needs, marketing materials, staff, T-shirts, decorations, entertainment and program books.
· Provide leadership and direction to Pageant Committee and volunteers.
· Ability to connect and communicate both verbally and in writing with people from diverse backgrounds or cultures.
· Mentoring and organizing the contestants.
· Help promote the event to encourage contestants to enter, advertisers and sponsors to support the program and community members to attend pageant.
· Help assemble contestant information kits that include materials that help the girls before and during the pageant, such as potential interview questions, wardrobe requirements, judging criteria and travel arrangements.
· Works with the winner to coordinate personal appearances and coaching them to represent that pageant and organization.
· Audio, video and music, must also be lined up and scripted by the coordinator.
· Assist in recruiting, directing, and supporting volunteers such as emcee, judges and stage manager. This may include arranging travel and accommodations.
· Oversees site setup, vendor placement, performers, caterers and volunteers; makes yourself available for the crises that inevitably arise.
· Post-event review and follow-up: This includes examining all venue and contractor bills, comparing the projected budget to actual performance, administering and evaluating attendee surveys, sending out post-event press releases and preparing a report for the host, with recommendations regarding future events.
Ideal candidates have a background in business, hospitality, events, coaching, teaching, productions, marketing. Strong interpersonal communication skills, detailed planning and organizational skills, a demonstrated ability to multi-task and a creative flair will set you apart.
While the Miss Woodstock Scholarship Pageant is a collaborative effort of many people, the Pageant Director is accountable to the Woodstock Area Chamber of Commerce President, and, ultimately, the Woodstock Area Chamber of Commerce & Industry Board of Directors. The Director is expected to represent the Chamber in a positive light and always lead the Pageant Committee, interact with the contestants and the community with the highest level of professionalism.
Because the Pageant Director will be working directly with minors, the Pageant Director will be subject to a professional and confidential background check. If you do not consent to this requirement, please do not apply for the role.
For any additional questions please contact Brad Ball, Woodstock Area Chamber of Commerce & Industry president at (815) 338-2436 or by email.